I try to help make things easier for my husband. We are a team. In his last year of the Master's program at CU I researched potential PhD schools. I made charts and gave him a list of 20 possible choices. I showed him how they stacked up in necessary areas, the cost, funding, etc. I am now making charts and tables again for potential jobs next year.
The way it works is similar to applying to grad schools. The applications are due in the fall. They don't go over them (for the most part) until January or February. Then you start hearing back and getting interviews for a job that won't even begin until the end of the summer.
I am learning all sorts of interesting language. I am quite impressed with my husband's experience and expertise. I can now navigate most university/college websites and find what I need. Yep, I am gaining new talents. Our potential schools are at 18 now and will hopefully get larger. They include places in Alaska, Ohio, Nebraska, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Utah, Texas, and Hawaii (BYU). It has been a lot of work and he hasn't applied to a single one yet. He is just getting everything ready. Plus, every school is different. One wants this, another wants that. One wants a video of him teaching for 15 minutes and a few want a statement of Christian faith.
Now, Andy is getting worried. How can he do it all? Write the dissertation, get everything out for the jobs, magnify his calling and be there for his family. He is worried he won't finish by the spring. He will. I know he will. We may be here another year with him working adjuct all over the place, but he will finish and we follow the Lord's will.
I am done. Over 12 years of struggling. Worrying about what to buy and what not to. Worrying because another sock was worn through. A sock! I am a worrier, yes, but I would like slightly different material. I know that things will not necessarily be better money wise, but at least my husband will not be working 80 hours a week for practically nothing...oh wait, maybe he will.
1 comment:
Good for you. Try to enjoy every experience for what it teaches you. I think we have a tendency to lose sight of the here and now.
Post a Comment