My oldest child and I had a discussion about addiction on Sunday. It was not based on alcohol or drugs, but electronic devises. He could not understand why I have such a dislike for them. It was a good talk, I think.
The last couple of days I have continued to think about it and I have come to a heart wrenching realization and decision. I am addicted to reading. It is not something that should be a big deal, but it is becoming one. I read to escape. I have read nearly 75 books this year, each one over 200 pages. I have done a lot of hiding and escaping. I am not good at monitoring my time or putting them down, even if the writing is mediocre.
My thought is this: It is distracting me from being the person I want to be. I know that reading is a good past time, but for me I need to put some limits on it. Starting in January I will only allow myself to read 2 books a month (over 200 pages). One of those will probably be the book club book and then I get a personal choice. I am hoping it will make me take my time and get my life back on track. I am waiting until January because of my OCD nature. It is the beginning. I can't start at the end. ;)
2 comments:
I have learned that I have an addictive personality. I'm not good at doing things in moderation. No matter what the addiction happens to be, I almost always have something in my life that it is out of balance......
Since you inherited your addictive personality from both of you parents - I kind of know where you are coming from. We have been told repeatedly that we can't have 100% perfect document and yet your father and I want them to be. We have to lighten up. I have had to put limits on myself when I realize that I am out of control with something. It is the hardest thing I do. But I have to do it often. Love you so much.
Post a Comment