I have almost finished the Book of Mormon again. Our goal as a family was to finish it individually before Anneke's baptism. Subsequently our bishop asked us to read it through again by the end of the year. Then our stake president challenged us to read it by next stake conference (August 19th). We have been working hard. Reading as a family we won't make our stake president's goal. We have increased the amount we read but the attention span of the younger two is not great enough. We should make our bishop's goal, though. In the light of all this I have been thinking about 2 scriptures. My oldest and youngest child have names I chose in part because of my scripture reading.
Before Marcus was born I was reading through the New Testament again. We knew that if he was a boy his name would be Marcus Andrew. But, as I was reading I read 1 Peter 5:13 (The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth MARCUS my son.) and knew it was supposed to be his name. It is not an extraordinary scripture, but it spoke to me.
One of my favorite scriptures is in the book of Ether in The Book of Mormon. When I was pregnant with Mallory I was trying to reach a goal of reading the book of Mormon cover to cover by a certain time. When I got to my favorite scripture I knew I wanted part of my baby's name to be Hope. The hardest time of year for me here is the summer. I have seasonal depression and ironically, the least sun exposure for me is the summer months here. That made the name, pregnancy, etc. more poignant for me. Ether 12:4 "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety HOPE for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which HOPE cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."
I need to find scriptures for Anneke and Luke now. Well, Luke has a whole book. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment