On a street near our house there is a traffic light. During the school year there are 2 crossing guards posted there in the morning and afternoon. At a traffic light?! I posted this on facebook and so many people said, "I am so glad they are there to keep the kids safe."
Here are my thoughts:
Yes, I am, too. BUT, where are their parents? Why do they need this redundancy? Plus, the state has cut funding every year for the past 5 years to education, the school district and teachers. How is 2 crossing guards at a light still more important than the $100 each teachers pay check has been cut each month?
If it is against the law for a child to be alone before the age of 9 at home, how is it okay for them to walk to school alone? How is it okay for the parents to leave for work and expect a child to get to school on their own? AND how is it the tax payers problem to pay for? Protecting the child is very important to me. I am so glad there are programs in place for latch key children, etc. But, when is it too much? We are enabling hands off parenting to an extreme that makes me angry. It takes a lot for a child to be taken away from unfit parents, yet there are so many I would just love to bundle up in my arms and love them because they aren't getting it elsewhere. How is this okay?
Get rid of the crossing guards at lights and start investigating the families of the first and kindergarten children walking to school on their own. I'll pay for that.
Some people say I am overprotective. Maybe I am, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
I think I am good now. Not sure how much sense I made, but I have let it out.
1 comment:
When I read what you said on Facebook, I knew what you were saying. Unfortunately Facebook's little blurbs don't allow much eloquence. There are no crossing guards here because if your child is walking without a parent - chances are they are a latchkey child and that is not permissible. I guess that is one way to do away with it. (Plus there seem to be no sidewalks by the schools around here.) I love you and agree with you.
Post a Comment