Thursday, August 16, 2012

Extraordinary

Yesterday for young women's activity we finished tying quilts. The girls started them at camp but didn't finish. (I was in the kitchen making dinner.) There were a lot of complaints at the time about the yarn not pulling through the fabric very well. Anyway, we felt we should finish them. They are lap quilts for local cancer patients. In 1/2 an hour I finished 2 and helped one girl finish hers. (She didn't do much, she just kept talking.) I think only one girl finished hers last night. It wasn't that hard. I don't see myself as extraordinary but how is this possible? I could have brought the rest home and finished them, but that defeats the purpose of the girls serving. 

Then last night when I couldn't sleep (big surprise) I was looking at my book section of Pinterest. As I read the lists I had pinned I realized how much I know about children's books and early chapter books. I could totally make a list like those. The worst lists were the ones where the person would say they had never read a book, yet put it on the list. Most of those I was thinking that it was not appropriate for the age they were recommending it for. I knew probably 95-99% of the books. Now, what do I do with this knowledge? Why do I have this knowledge? (This is not quite as articulate as it sounded last night in my half asleep state.)

I see things as common sense or ordinary knowledge, but I guess that is not always the case.

1 comment:

Grandma Bailey said...

It is interesting that you point this out. I realized on the trip how extra - ordinary my daughters are! You are all 4 so amazing and each have such individual talents that shine and make you who you are. I am proud of each of you for trying to magnify them. I am most proud for the wonderful mothers you each are. Much better than I ever was.