Monday, June 4, 2012

Scumble

I am probably going to put a few book reviews on here. Not a lot, but when I feel like it. Especially if I really enjoy the book and want others to know.


I read Savvy and Scumble by Ingrid Law this month. Marcus read them. One of the parents (or a trusted adult) reads what he reads to make sure it is appropriate. (I actually remember what I read, though, while my husband does not.) Both my husband and I read these within a week of each other.


The premise for both stories is that in some families on their 13th birthday children get a special talent. They call it a savvy. These talents can be big things like controlling weather or electricity or smaller things like sneezing and going back in time 5 minutes. Each child needs to learn to control or "scumble" their savvy. Both books are coming of age stories in a way. Stories of discovering who you are. Savvy is from a 13 year old girl's point of view and Scumble is a 13 year old boy.


Savvy was a very sweet story. I was surprised and afraid it would be too much like The Girl Who Could Fly, but it wasn't. I loved the underlying message and the realizations that could apply to anyone. I want to reread it soon and retain the quotes and feeling from it.


I was trying to read Scumble slowly so I could take it with me to Young Women's camp. It was too fun. I really enjoyed it. Many people were disappointed with the Savvy follow up and I am not sure why. I love that our family now uses words like "savvy" and "scumble" and not many people know what we mean. I think my savvy would be something with baking or organizing.


*On a side note - some of our young women asked to bring books to school. I was selected to okay them. Can I tell you how nervous this made me? Books are so personal. I wasn't sure I wanted to know what the girls were reading and if it was trash it would make me so sad. Books were due yesterday. I knew each one and was VERY impressed. One girl said, "I went through my books to make sure they were okay for Girls Camp. I wanted to make sure I could bring what I selected." They had taken responsibility which meant I didn't have to. I am grateful for the amazing girls I get to teach.

2 comments:

pambelina said...

Why were you responsible for what books girls would bring to school? Isn't that their mom or dad's job?

Heidi Noel said...

Books aren't normally allowed at all, but since it is a ward camp we are making the exception. In an ideal world it would be the parents job but a lot of the girls don't have LDS parents or are new to the gospel.